Worried about your home while you travel during the winter? Here are some tips on securing your property and protecting your investment:
1. Contact your insurance provider to find out if your home policy has specific requirements in the event of theft or damage during your absence (such as someone checking your home regularly).
2. Stay on top of seasonal maintenance in and around your home, to prevent damage from unexpected weather and events while you're away.
3. Have your furnace serviced. Consider options like turning the water off and lowering the heat, depending on how long you'll be away.
4. Prevent your mailbox from overfilling with mail and flyers, a sign that your home is vacant. You can make arrangements with Canada Post to have your mail held while you're away, or forwarded to you.
5. Set some indoor and outdoor lights on a timer, to turn on and off regularly.
6. Installation of a security alarm, video surveillance and motion sensor lighting will go a long way in deterring vandalism and theft.
7. Enlist a neighbour or family member, or hire a contractor, to clear your driveway and walks after it snows.
Whether you require home insurance, security, maintenance, or other service while you're away, ASK ME for a recommendation to a trusted professional.
Post Your Comment: